Location: Sonora Island, BC
Salary: CA$33K-CA$108K (Employer EST.)
Job type: Full Time , Part time
Shift/Hours: Morning, night, overnight
We’re hiring a Housekeeper to join our world class team at Sonora Resort, a luxury all-inclusive Relais & Chateaux Resort, in the unspoiled wilderness of British Columbia. Nestled in the Discovery Islands, Sonora Resort is a remote location accessed by water taxi from the town of Campbell River on Vancouver Island. This is a seasonal position that works on site at the Resort in shift work rotations. Seeking a start date as soon as possible with a commitment to work to the end of our season in Mid-October.
Our team shares a deep appreciation for the unspoiled wilderness of British Columbia. Our opulent location is an undeniable draw for those seeking an exciting career with a side of adventure. We are completely submerged in the great outdoors with easy access to hiking trails, Florence Lake, and opportunities to get on the water to explore the Inside Passage.
Each one of our team members contributes to the guest experience at Sonora Resort. Working at Sonora means you are part of a team of passionate and trained professionals focused on providing our guests with unique experiences and cherished memories.
Sonora Resort is committed to creating an engaging and supportive work environment, with a focus on developing and promoting talent from within. For the Housekeeper Position, we are happy to consider inexperienced candidates with an eye for detail and a willingness to learn and grow at Sonora Resort. We offer competitive compensation packages, exciting employee incentives and the opportunity to develop under the prestigious Relais & Châteaux banner.
- All staff are provided with complimentary single bedroom accommodations. Complimentary wifi, cable TV and internet calling provided in each staff room.
- Complimentary meals, snacks and beverages provided from our Staff Kitchen
- Shift work is required from April until October; comprised of 10 – 20 working days and 4 non-working working days,
- subject to change during peak season; employees are expected to be flexible in their scheduling to meet the needs of the business.
- Water taxi transportation is provided to and from Campbell River for scheduled work shifts
- Staff are required to leave the resort on their scheduled non-working days and are responsible for securing further transportation and accommodation thereafter.
- Team Amenities on site include a staff lounge, fitness facility, hot tub, outdoor staff lounge area, access to trout ponds, hiking trails and Florence lake where a canoe and stand-up paddleboards are available for staff use.
Enjoy other great work perks such as:
- 25% off at Sonora’s Gift Shop and Island Currents Spa (Services & products)
- Special room rate for Employees & immediate family members visiting Sonora Resort
- Staff social events and opportunities to experience adventure tours & activities
- An Employee & Family Assistance Program offering counseling and mental health supports.
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- We offer competitive wages, paid hourly, with opportunities for overtime, plus gratuities.
The Housekeeper position is responsible for delivering 5-star cleaning service to our 88 beautiful guest rooms including turndowns and special services, resort laundry and cleaning the resort common areas. Housekeepers will be expected to work independently and within a team environment to provide clientele with an impeccable housekeeping experience.
- Correctly clean all assigned guest rooms and common areas including dusting, making beds, linen removal from rooms, retrieval of clean linen from linen closets, vacuuming, bathroom cleaning, inside window cleaning and more- all to Sonora Resort’s standards.
- Scrubbing, sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping the floors in guest rooms, public spaces, staff common areas and meeting rooms.
- Provide cleaning services during the day and turn down service during the evening.
- Update and record all cleaned rooms in close relationship with the department manager and Guest Services.
- Fill guest requests in a timely and efficient manner.
- Laundry services including sorting, folding and pressing a variety of linen.
- Ensure effective working relationships and clear communication is maintained with all colleagues and departments.
- Drive small electric vehicles around the resort.
- Trustworthy with sensitive and confidential company information (company + guest).
- Exemplary customer service skills and a demonstrated willingness to exceed guest expectations.
- Adapts easily to change; works quickly and accurately under pressure, tight deadlines and multiple priorities.
- Physically demanding tasks in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines.
- Repetitive tasks, handling heavy loads, combination of standing, walking, or sitting for extended periods of time, bending, crouching, kneeling.
- Applicant must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Must be fluent in English, second language an asset.
- First Aid certificates are an asset.
- One (1) year of experience in housekeeping services; experience in a live-in resort environment is preferred.
- High School Diploma required.
- We are happy to train the right person for this job! If you do not have any cleaning experience, but you have a strong attention to detail, a willingness to learn, and you’re keen to get your foot in the door in the hospitality world, you may be a great fit for this role.
About Sonora Resort
Sonora Resort, a Relais & Chateâux property, is located on Sonora Island in the Discovery Islands of British Columbia. It is accessible by boat or air, and 50 minutes by helicopter from Vancouver. Known as one of Canada’s hidden gems, Sonora has a unique place in the world because of its secluded location, abundance of natural beauty and wildlife, with luxury accommodations and gourmet cuisine. Sonora is part of the Relais & Chateâux association of the world’s finest hoteliers, chefs and restaurateurs that has set the standard for excellence in hospitality. Whether you have an adventurous heart or a desire to live in a remarkable wild place such as this, you will find all kinds of career options at Sonora Resort. We encourage you to visit our website at www.sonoraresort.com
What skills and qualities are important for a Housekeeping Room Attendant?
Here are some of the skills and qualities that are important for a Housekeeping Room Attendant:
- Technical skills: Housekeeping Room Attendants need to have a basic understanding of cleaning products and equipment. They should be able to follow cleaning instructions and use cleaning products safely.
- Organizational skills: Housekeeping Room Attendants need to be able to organize their time and work efficiently. They should be able to prioritize their tasks and work effectively under pressure.
- Attention to detail: Housekeeping Room Attendants need to be able to pay attention to detail and produce high-quality work. They should be able to notice dirt and debris and take the time to clean it properly.
- Customer service skills: Housekeeping Room Attendants often interact with guests, so they need to be able to provide excellent customer service. They should be friendly, polite, and helpful.
- Physical stamina: Housekeeping Room Attendants can be a physically demanding job. They need to be able to stand for long periods of time, lift heavy objects, and climb stairs.
- Flexibility: Housekeeping Room Attendants often need to be flexible. They may need to work different shifts or work overtime. They should also be able to handle unexpected changes or challenges.
Here are some additional qualities that can make a Housekeeping Room Attendant successful:
- Patience: Housekeeping Room Attendants need to be patient and understanding. They may be working with guests who are messy or who have special needs.
- Resilience: Housekeeping Room Attendants need to be resilient. They may be dealing with difficult situations on a daily basis.
- Teamwork: Housekeeping Room Attendants often work as part of a team. They need to be able to work well with others and be supportive of their colleagues.
If you are considering a career as a Housekeeping Room Attendant, these are some of the skills and qualities that you should develop. With hard work and dedication, you can be a successful Housekeeping Room Attendant.
Here are some additional tips for working as a Housekeeping Room Attendant:
- Become familiar with the policies and procedures of your workplace. This will help you to stay safe and avoid making mistakes.
- Be respectful of guests. They are paying for a clean and comfortable room, and you need to make sure that they are satisfied with your work.
- Be willing to learn new things. The housekeeping industry is constantly changing, and you need to be willing to adapt to new procedures and technologies.
- Be patient. Not all guests will be easy to work with, and you need to be able to handle difficult situations with grace.
If you have these qualities and are willing to work hard, then you can be a successful Housekeeping Room Attendant.
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Online: Apply On Company WebSite
What education and certification are required to become a Housekeeping Room Attendant?
You don’t need any formal education or certification to become a Housekeeping Room Attendant. Most employers will only require that you have a high school diploma or equivalent. However, there are some certifications that you can earn that can make you more marketable to employers.
Some of the most popular certifications for Housekeeping Room Attendants include:
- Certified Housekeeper (CH): This certification is offered by the International Executive Housekeepers Association (IHEA).
- Certified Executive Housekeeper (CEH): This certification is also offered by the IHEA.
Certified Green Cleaning Professional (CGPC): This certification is offered by the Green Cleaning Council.
These certifications can demonstrate your skills and knowledge to potential employers. They can also help you to advance your career in housekeeping.
Here are some of the education and certification options that you may have as you pursue a career in housekeeping:
- Vocational school: Vocational schools offer programs that can prepare you for a career in housekeeping. These programs typically include both classroom and hands-on training.
- Community college: Community colleges also offer programs that can prepare you for a career in housekeeping. These programs typically include both classroom and hands-on training.
- Online courses: There are also a number of online courses that can teach you the basics of housekeeping. These courses can be a good way to learn the skills and knowledge you need to become a Housekeeping Room Attendant without having to attend a traditional school.
If you are interested in a career as a Housekeeping Room Attendant, these are some of the education and certification options that you may have. With hard work and dedication, you can be a successful Housekeeping Room Attendant.